Our History

The Kelly-Fradet Legacy: Since 1951

Kelly-Fradet's Co-Founder

In 1951, Clarence “Red” Weeks and Lloyd Fradet began the Kelly-Fradet legacy by purchasing the Carmel Lumber Company in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts. Their goal was to provide the building industry with the best products and, more importantly, the most dependable, knowledgeable service available.

Today, Kelly-Fradet proudly follows our founders’ vision, providing top-notch building materials and exemplary customer service throughout Western Massachusetts and North Central Connecticut.

Residential or commercial, remodeling or building new, we will help you get the job done on time and on budget. And you will have our 600 years of combined employee experience behind you each step of the way.

“Any business is a people business. It’s the families who work for Kelly-Fradet, and the customers who purchase from us, that create the foundation to our success!”
-co-founder Red Weeks


1951 — Kelly-Fradet Founded

In 1951, Clarence “Red” Weeks and Lloyd Fradet go into partnership to begin a new company, Kelly-Fradet.  The company was founded as a 50/50 partnership by Lloyd Fradet and Red Weeks, a Harvard Graduate.  Both employees of US Gypsum at the time. Their goal was to provide the building industry with the best products and, more importantly, the most dependable, knowledgeable service available.

In a strategic move, the name “Kelly-Fradet” was created by combining co-founder Lloyd Fradet and his wife’s maiden name, Kelly.

East Longmeadow Yard Opens

In 1951 Fradet and Weeks open their 1st location with the purchase of Carmel Lumber, located at 557 North Main Street, East Longmeadow, Massachusetts

1957 — Expansion Begins

Enfield Lumber Opens

On February 13, 1957, Kelly-Fradet purchased the 3-acre Enfield Lumber Company from Diamond Match Company. At that time, Red Weeks became the head of Kelly-Fradet Enfield. They also acquired Frederick Bomely from Diamond Match, who brought 14 years of lumber experience, as well as 9 other employees. Kelly-Fradet has continued to expand over the years, purchasing other businesses and opening new locations.

1959 — Fire

In February of 1959, a terrible fire leveled the East Longmeadow location causing over $200,000 in damages. Despite this setback, the company was doing business the next day, filling orders from the Enfield location. Later, the yard was rebuilt with a larger, fireproof warehouse.

1960-1965 — Purchased Bidwell Lumber

Kelly Fradet purchased Bidwell Lumber on 266 Main Street, Windsor Locks, CT.  In 1965 Kelly-Fradet sold Bidwell Lumber to an apartment developer.

1964-2001 — Purchased Broad Brook Lumber

In 1964, Broad Brook Lumber and Coal on 56 Depot Street in Broad Brook, CT was purchased and made into a retail store.  The location was later sold in 2001 to Fahrenheit Mechanical Services

1965 — Purchased Thompsonville Lumber

In 1965, Thompsonville Lumber at 92 Prospect St. Enfield, CT, was purchased.

1966 — East Longmeadow Mart Opens

In 1966, the East Longmeadow Kelly-Fradet Mart at 587 North Main Street, East Longmeadow, MA was opened as the first “cash and carry lumber supermarket” in Western New England.

1976 — Purchased Location in Vernon, CT

In 1976, Kelly-Fradet Vernon on 73 Windsor Ave, Vernon, CT was purchased. The property was later sold to Rocky’s Ace Hardware.  The transaction allowed Kelly-Fradet to remodel and expand the Kelly-Fradet in Ellington.

1974 — Transfer of Ownership

On July 28, 1974, Lloyd Fradet passed away transferring ownership to Red Weeks.

1985 — Purchased the W.G. Glenny Lumber Co.

In 1985 Kelly-Fradet purchased the The W.G. Glenny Lumber Co. at 99 West Rd, Ellington, CT.  In 2008 the location went through a major the interior and exterior remodel.

1987 — Purchased the Bridge Lumber Co.

In 1987 Kelly Fradet purchased The Bridge Lumber Company at 423 Hazard Ave. Enfield CT

1991 — The Next Generation

Red Weeks passed away leaving full ownership to his wife Aline and children Bob, Dave, Doug, and Candy.

2020 — We Become Employee Owned

In January 2020, Kelly-Fradet became an ESOP Company and is now 100% employee owned ensuring that Kelly-Fradet can continue to be an independent family-owned lumber company for many generations to come.

Kelly-Fradet Staff